Zimmermania

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Red Sweater of Doom

Hello friends!

I haven't posted in a while, but I sure have been reading! There are so many Zimmerman designs that in my stubbornness I wouldn't ever have the balls1 to try. I must admit to a slight aversion to knitting things that aren't in the round (rows? are you kidding me? Never!), which leaves out so many great garter stitch garments. I think that jared's tomten might have lit a fire under my rear, so there might be a tomten in my future. Maybe.

The sweater I'm going to share today you, I've been calling my "red sweater of doom" for some time (mostly during the 2 months it took me to finally knit the sleeves), but I named it "Turkish Delight" on ravelry. (I'm tychoish there as well.)

This is mostly my design, I took the chart from the Anatolian Stocking Designs book that Meg has referenced at a couple of points. There might have been a little bit of manipulation of one of the designs (the diamond) to make it more... square, it's weird in the book, and the little "angel fish" are my own creation, and the medallion is from Sheila McGregor's Traditional Fair Isle Book. So pretty eclectic.

I wanted to have a Fair Isle project for working on when I was at camp, and I was expecting this to be yet another drop shouldered sweater (which wasn't a problem, I like dropped shoulders), and then Meg said at camp, "so you can set in sleeves using an EPS yoke."

I spent the entire trip home figuring out how to do it, and then I did. I think it worked out pretty well in the end. The main error, isn't immediately noticeable: I neglected to set in the sleeves far enough. Better luck next time. Here are pictures, starting with the stitch pattern:

the stitch pattern

A view from the front:

front view

A view from the rear:

rear view

I should point out much to my own amusement and joy, that I knit the sleeves from the top down, despite the color work and the half stitch discrepancy, and it worked. Nifty, eh?


I wanted to add another note, on a related topic. I'm going to host a knit along for my "sport sweater" in the new year (here's another). I'm not quite ready to start, the pattern is still in draft but this is a great sweater that I hope is very much in the tradition of Elizabeth. It's simple, there's little moments of where you can show off your knitting brilliance, and it's a good design for boys. I'll post a brief note when I have the pattern ready for distribution, but I just wanted to give you all a little heads up now.

At the moment I'm pretty focused on getting this sweater done.

Thanks, and best wishes!


  1. a technical term, I assure you

10 Comments:

  • Oh my goodness, Tycho, this sweater is freakin' gorgeous! (And so is the blue one over on your blog.) I bow down before Your Knitterly Majesty! Thank you for the rush of pleasure I experienced as the photo appeared.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:39 PM  

  • WOW! Fantastic!

    Where would I find additional info on set-in sleeves done in the round?

    Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger Stasia, at 7:45 PM  

  • That is absolutely beautiful. I am incredibly awed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 PM  

  • What a beautiful sweater!

    One day I hope I'll have the patience to make something as good.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:32 AM  

  • This a work of art - I am absolutley amazed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:48 PM  

  • This is so beautiful. I'm ashamed that I can even manage a basic sweater.

    By Blogger Also Lots of Ocelots, at 6:26 PM  

  • it is beautiful.

    By Blogger knititch, at 10:21 AM  

  • Just fabulous!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:50 AM  

  • Wow, gorgeous!!!

    By Blogger woolcat, at 1:34 PM  

  • Guh. That is beyond awesome. I am officially in AWE. well done

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home