Zimmermania

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Seizure Shawl



Hi Zimmermaniacs,
It's been a long time since my last post, I couldn't find my log in details! This is the first of three EZ items that I have to show. I took Elizabeths advice for my summer holiday knitting and took along the Pi shawl, little did I know what the holiday would have in store for me. I knit at the airport and on the plane before my 18 month old daughter passed out and went blue, we touched down in Florida and were whisked off the tarmac straight to hospital where they insisted she had had a seizure. We were stuck in there for three days having tests and at many times I could have cheerfully stabbed some of the doctors/nurses looking after us with my new Addi lace needles. But I knit on in the middle of the night knowing that we would get through this and I would one day look at this shawl and remember the trauma. It turned out that Betsy was absolutely fine, thank God, and we now have what will forever be known as the "Seizure" Shawl.
Knit in Claudia Handpainted, Silk Lace 20/2, 100% Silk. I haven't measured the finished size, 1100 yards on the skein of which I have a tiny bit left, to block I used a 6 metre wire - could have done with a little bit bigger. I would highly recommend a shawl as travel knitting, mindless and good in a crisis!
More at didyoumakeityourself.com
Sarah

16 Comments:

  • oh my goodness! what a terrifying episode. i'm glad to hear that your daughter is recovered and well. what a relief. it will be nice to look at your shawl and know that everything's ok!

    By Blogger eudyptula, at 8:37 PM  

  • Wow that's gorgeous! Glad to hear your daughter is fine. Great name for the shawl!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:08 PM  

  • the shawl is lovelly, well done

    By Blogger PJS, at 12:11 AM  

  • Absolutely fabulous - give it to your daughter!

    By Blogger Helen, at 12:32 AM  

  • The shawl is lovely and it's great to hear that your daughter will be OK. That's a definite heirloom!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:18 AM  

  • Oh my god! This is beautiful!

    By Blogger Monika, at 10:41 AM  

  • Thank goodness that it all turned out well. The shawl is lovely and should be handed down with the story.

    By Blogger Elysbeth, at 12:28 PM  

  • let miss betsy wear it for her wedding and on. gruesome story but all shall be well as they say.

    By Blogger knititch, at 4:22 PM  

  • I'm so glad your daughter is fine, and what a gorgeous shawl! Congrats on both!

    By Blogger Heather, at 5:46 PM  

  • It hardly looks mindless, but it does look gorgeous! What a tremedous relief to know your baby was ok.

    By Blogger Rani, at 6:55 AM  

  • I'm glad your daughter is fine.
    I think your shawl is the first lace knitting I've seen in which a handpainted 'variegated' yarn looks totally great with that pattern. The shawl is stunning.

    By Blogger knitbysue, at 1:02 PM  

  • Love how the colors in the center spiral! Beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:04 PM  

  • Just as EZ said, "Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crisis!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

  • How wonderful that your frightful story has a happy ending. The shawl is simply magnificent.

    May I ask that we share the Zimmerman book with the pattern used? I'd so appreciate that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:52 AM  

  • What a terrible experience. I'm glad your daughter is fine. Children seem to do well even if they do have a seizure. They are resilent little creatures. Now, down to the knitty gritty. Your Seizure Shawl is gorgeous! I love the fan and feather.

    By Blogger Sheila, at 7:14 PM  

  • Caroline,
    The pattern is from Knitter's Almanac, I knit plain with a couple of rows of buttonhole until I got big enough for a circular needle - just couldn't cope with dpn's and lace- then switched to a feather and fan pattern. EZ advises to use whatever stitch pattern you fancy and I will try something different next time.

    By Blogger sarah moran, at 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home