Zimmermania

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Two baby surprise jackets

When I first started knitting I came across "Knitting Without Tears". I knew right away that this was the kind of knitting I wanted to do. But at the time, being a complete beginner, I couldn't make heads or tails of it. So almost two years later, here are my first EZ creations, two baby suprise jackets.

The first one uses blue, purple, navy Lamb's Pride wool. The second uses natural undyed yarns - dark grey from Corriedale sheep, Pit River Wool, CA, and natural white color from Coopworth lambs, Coburn Creek Farm and Pottery, WV.

I sent both to "afghans for Afghans" (http://www.afghansforafghans.org/). They collect hand knitted/crocheted items for people in war-torn (and cold) Afghanistan. I enjoy reading zimmermania - lots of good inspiration here.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • What a beautiful idea. Well done you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

  • They are beautiful sweaters and donating them was wonderful of you.

    By Blogger grammasueknits, at 6:44 AM  

  • What did you do to make them different sizes? Was it only in needle size and yarn type, or did you cast on a different number of stitches, too?

    The sweaters are beautiful!

    By Blogger ejmh, at 7:38 AM  

  • What a wonderful thing to do! The sweaters turned out beautifully and I'm sure they'll be appreciated where you sent them.

    By Blogger Christine, at 12:10 PM  

  • Thanks for the nice words. About the sizes... I tend to knit very loose, so I knew if I used the original # of stitches, they'd be huge. So, for the baby one (using a size 6 needle), I multiplied everything (stitches, rows, markers,...) by 1/2. For the kid-size one (using a size 4 needle), I used a 2/3 factor.

    I wasn't sure if that method would work, but they did turn out alright.

    By Blogger puppydogknits, at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home