Zimmermania

Friday, October 26, 2007

Surprise! It Fits My Toddler!

I made this Baby Surprise Jacket using almost 3 entire skeins of Elsebeth Lavold Cotton Patiné, knit on US 5s. It fits my 7 month old with some wiggle room and perfect 3/4 length sleeves. I was intending to use the leftover yarn to add a couple of rows to each sleeve to make them full-length, when this happened:

My 4 year old stole it. She loves the short sleeves, and otherwise it fits her perfectly. So it's going to be hers for a little while. If I had more yarn, or if I were to do this again, I'd add maybe another 20 rows (10 ridges) at the end of the pattern, making it a bit wider and longer. Right now it fits her snugly and hits right at her waist (which is fine because she's been using it over her leotard for dance class). Worn over anything except leotards or dresses it looks a bit odd, as all of her shirts are longer than this sweater.

But she's happy. As you can see from the weird robot dance she was doing while I tried to photograph her.

I loved knitting this, I made a few mistakes which were due to my own lack of attention. I'll be making many, many more.

- marnie

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Adorable daughter! She's got fine taste in sweaters, too. :O) samm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  

  • ho ho with a certain elasticity to the yarn, anything goes. and the sweater is cute, as always. i love the colour.

    By Blogger knititch, at 2:14 PM  

  • your daughter's got style, that's for sure!

    By Blogger eudyptula, at 3:07 PM  

  • that's a fabulous post! Clearly your daughter has taste, and a style of her own. Good for her! :)

    By Blogger Eliza, at 8:13 PM  

  • You've got a dancer in the family. Very cool!
    very nice BSJ too. Congratulations

    By Blogger Mary, at 1:39 PM  

  • Thanks for this post - I have been wondering if I could make it for my great-granddaughter who is 2 and wears a 4T. This is so helpful! Great color, good job!
    Jan C

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:43 PM  

  • Too cute! So much more stylish than a Flashdance sweatshirt.

    By Blogger Elysbeth, at 6:57 AM  

  • It looks totaly fabulous on her; and it seems she knows it! Good for her!
    As for the "short sweater over the long shirt" issue, not to worry; 80's short over long has made a strong comeback. Hope you don't mind that she is right in style for todays fashion concious girl.
    Love the color too!
    B

    By Blogger Bee, at 12:38 PM  

  • Both toddler and sweater are gorgeous!

    Jen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home