Zimmermania

Thursday, October 04, 2007

A newborn BSJ




I wanted to knit a baby surprise jacket for quite a long time already but I thought that for a first one a baby size should be it. Since my children have outgrown that state I needed to wait for the proper moment. Now that friends of us welcomed their 2nd child the time was there... I knitted this one in Lorna's Laces sport, colourway jeans on 3.75mm needles and it came out as a nice newborn size. I really like to knit this little number and since my SIL is pregnant now for the first time I will make another one later this year but i will use Blue Moon Socks that Rock heavyweight yarn on 4 mm for that one so I hope it will be just a bit bigger (newborn babies grow so fast...)



I made bootees with the leftover yarn, that pattern comes from www.saartjeknits.nl, a nice and fast project too!

7 Comments:

  • I have my 8-week old in a BSJ every day, and I am always in awe of the greatness of this simple cardigan. Garter stitch is so stretchy, and I knit it a wee bit loose, so the cardy is easy to put on and take off, and I am sure it will fit for another month at least.

    I made my 20-month-old a denim yarn BSJ last summer, and she is still getting lots of wear out of it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:07 AM  

  • The BSJ is just the best!! I did put 'cuffs' on my last one, but want to do one with a collar and one with a hood!

    By Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup, at 5:52 AM  

  • That turned out soooo nice! I've been wondering about the Lorna's Laces sportweight-thanks for letting us know.

    By Blogger lark8girl, at 7:01 AM  

  • That is an adorable jacket. Did you only use one skein of the LL sportweight? I have a single skein in a nice colorway that might make a cute jacket for a newborn.

    By Blogger MoMo, at 4:17 AM  

  • I have the baby surprise pattern and have started it Have gotten down to where it talks about "after 5 ridges" and I am so confused as to what to do next. Which is the right side? When do you dow the increases, on the side with the decreases or the even knit only side? When do you add stripes,on the knit rows only? If anyone can walk me through this, please email me at dajohnson7@comcast.net.

    Thanks Debbie

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:08 AM  

  • Nice BSJ, and those bootees are adorable!

    By Blogger Carol Ann, at 6:42 PM  

  • Thanks!

    I used 1 1/3 skein of the sportweight; hence the bootees :-)

    By Blogger Marjotse, at 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home