Zimmermania

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Thank you, Meg!

Those of you in possession of the new 25th-anniversary Vogue Knitting issue will have seen Meg Swansen's little plug for our project here. I hope you'll join me in expressing gratitude to Meg for her continued support of our celebration of her mother's genius. When I asked her blessing to begin Zimmermania eleven months ago, I had no idea we'd grow to more than 500 participants, and I want to thank you all for the atmosphere of encouragement and respect and welcome you have created.

I also want to say again that we open the doors here to anyone who wants to knit Elizabeth's (or Meg's) designs. There are directions for contacting me to join the group in the sidebar link, and if you haven't had a response within a week it means I haven't received your message, so please try again.

I was finally able to round out my EZ library with a birthday gift of The Opinionated Knitter, which I fondly devoured over the weekend. Those early Newsletters were written when my mother was a little girl, but Elizabeth's voice is so vivid and Meg did such splendid work in assembling and annotating the book that you feel as if you're cozily knitting on the porch with old friends, with coffee and lap-cats for everyone. A final enormous thank-you to Meg, and I'm off to finish my first February baby sweater.

Knit on, everybody, and viva EZ!

6 Comments:

  • Well said! Thanks, Sarah, for keeping us all afloat.

    By Blogger Jen, at 12:20 PM  

  • yes i think meg's heart must jump with joy over the renaissance of her mother's knitting that is timeless which is soooo much better than classic. and i have appreciated your work with the blog and hope your heart jumps with joy as well because of the success.
    i have never been so inspired knitwise as now. it means something to get reactions on the things you do when you don't have live knitter friends at hand. the only thing i am sad about is that i don't have more time to knit and that ez isn't more appreciated here in dk. but she will be in time. i am happy you got the opinionated knitter for your birthday. congrats. it is my most treasured knitting book and a good read as well. and it is so nice with all those inspiring photos of all elizabeth's relatives not to mention the cutest picture of herself and gaffer.

    By Blogger knititch, at 1:09 PM  

  • The newest Vogue is a wonderful issue, I think. I loved the information about the yarn companies, and the interviews with the knitters from earlier years and now. And I saw the Zimmermania mentioned, and thought that was pretty special. Having only found EZ during the last year or so,I'm busy collecting books and patterns and reading here every day, hoping to see more. You're doing a great job with Zimmermania, and I agree about reading EZ's books. It's like having tea with her and chatting. I read them over and over! Glad to be part of this group, even as a lurker.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM  

  • This blog is a wonderful ongoing conversation! And can I admit I got just a teensy bit choked up when I read Meg's letter Z in VK25...?

    By Blogger Lydia, at 5:42 PM  

  • Reading Knitting Without Tears was an important moment in my life back in 1971 or so. Now that I'm knitting again, it's exciting to see that EZ is properly appreciated, and your blog brings us all together (even the lurker that I am). Many thanks for your efforts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 PM  

  • I was thrilled to see Meg's mention of Zimmermania in VK. This is a great blog concept and continually inspiring.
    Lydia, thank you for admitting to being a little choked up by Meg's piece. I choked up earlier this summer when I finished reading The Opinionated Knitter from cover-to-cover one weekend, and I had the same reaction to Meg's article. You gotta love EZ, and Meg just does the most amazing job of reminding us that we do!

    By Blogger Judi P, at 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home