Zimmermania

Friday, August 31, 2007

SOS--Need Help Modifying Heart Hat for Child

Hi Zimmermaniacs...

I want to make the heart hat for a 7 year old girl, and I'm having trouble modifying the pattern because I can't figure out what EZ is thinking!

She says that you can use 10+1 as your base. Got that.

Orphaned stitches are 10% of X + 1.
Final un-cast off stitches are 20% X + 1.

The point decrease of s1 k2tog psso happens at the center, and I think it starts on 1/2 x, right?

The end decreases gradually move inward--each turn happens 1 stitch earlier in, right?

I'm assuming you do this until you have 5 stitches on each end outside the turn.

After that, I'm totally lost! I don't understand the logic it takes to get down to the final 20% X + 1.

Can anyone help me? I want to 40 as my x...
My email is in my profile... thanks in advance--

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • Hi Annie,

    I made the heart hat in an adult size and I didn't understand the directions until I did them step by step. I usually don't understand EZ's directions until I try them.

    The point decrease of s1 k2tog psso happens at the center, and I think it starts on 1/2 x, right?

    Yes, so that your double decrease is exactly centered.


    The end decreases gradually move inward--each turn happens 1 stitch earlier in, right?

    Yes, until row 13-ish or so (guessing, can't quite remember) when you start knitting the orphaned stitches together with the ones in the middle. Basically, you orphan extra stitches of width at the greatest width of the heart and then when you merge them back with the body stitches it creates the two curves for the top part of the heart. I'll take a close-up photo of that part of my hat and post it on my blog for you to see it (thimbleful.blogspot.com)in case it might help. I think if you just start following the directions, though, it will probably make sense when you get to that point.

    Good luck! I can't wait to see it.

    Lydia

    By Blogger Lydia, at 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home