Zimmermania

Friday, July 13, 2007

Sleeves on February Baby Sweater

Hi,
I was hoping to get some clarification on the sleeves for the February baby sweater. Some knitters suggested knitting the rest of the body and then returning to knit the sleeves, which is what I have done.

In EZ's directions for the sleeves, she says to cast on 7 stitches to the 21 stitches that are already there. Am I casting on 7 stitches to both sides of one sleeve, for a total of 35 stitches? That seems like a lot of stitches to add on. Or just a total of 7 for 28 stitches to a sleeve?

Thanks again!
-sue

3 Comments:

  • I added eight stitches on each side of each sleeve (seven plus a selvege stitch for seaming). So for each sleeve I added 16, for a total of 44 sts per sleeve.

    Note that I'm only partway through my first of these sweaters so while it's fresh in my mind, I'm not 100-percent sure it's going to work out as it should.

    I've done the sleeves first and plan to pick up 14 sts under each arm when I do the body. (If that's going to be trouble, could someone warn me?)

    Good luck!

    By Blogger Lauren, at 9:28 AM  

  • Picking up the 7 stitches on each side of the sleeve worked out fine for me. (I'd cast on 8, to leave a selvage edge and thanks to warnings I remembered not to include those extra 2 when I picked up the stitches.) I kind of had to fudge on resuming the pattern for the first row, but it won't show in that location. I'm about two patterns further down on the body, and it's all going well.

    By Blogger ejmh, at 11:15 AM  

  • I forgot to mention that I had to "finish" knitting the row I'd started when I had knit along the front to begin the first sleeve.

    That meant I picked up the sleeve stitches on the last-made sleeve one row before picking up the ones from the other sleeve.

    By Blogger ejmh, at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home