Zimmermania

Monday, April 16, 2007

Fishtraps for Twins

My sons are good friends with some twin boys who are having their 4th birthday party June 2nd. And I want to make them sweaters (it's Oregon- you need sweaters in June.) And I'm set on Fishtrap. As EZ might say "it smacks of madness" to start two big projects this late in the game, but I want to do it anyway.

Lucky for me a size 4 sweater cannot accomodate all the pattern repeats so I'm planning a simplified seamless version.

I have a question though for anyone whose ever made one of these. Because I'm going to have so much stocking stitch exposed on the sides I will need to do something about the bottom edge. Should I do some kind of welt on just the stocking stitch portions? Or should it include Fishtrap also?



I just don't know what will or will not disrupt the patterns. But that's still a ways away-- my needle is still making the princess dress for my niece.

I had some trouble figuring out the correct rate of increase for the skirt. I know EZ mentions skirts in KWOT but I don't have that yet... but she talks about increases and angles for baby leggings in Knitter's Almanac- and that saved the day. So now we're motoring along nicely.

But until it's done and off the needle, I'll be making lots and lots of sleeves!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • I use brooklyn tweed's modification of EZ's hem. Basically, you cast on 90% of the stitches you'll need, knit approximately two inches of hem (using a contrasting colour is nice), increase up to 100%, switch to MC, knit one row, knit a turning row, and start working on the body. Once the body is the same length as the hem, knit the two together. Keeps the bottom edge looking nice, plus it keeps the sweater from riding up. I used this technique on my Rogue sweater, and it worked just fine with the cabling.

    By Blogger Eat Knit Explore Grow, at 9:11 AM  

  • Love the idea of matching Fishtraps. I would probably do the sides in seed or moss stitch (if you knit in the continental style it is not much more work than regular stockinette) all the way from the bottom.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 AM  

  • So very true that you need sweaters in June in OR! Looking forward to the results. :)

    By Blogger Katie, at 11:10 AM  

  • Yes, I would suggest an all-over pattern like Lilly suggests. This gives some added structure to the sides, to boost up that middle cable weight.

    By Blogger Diane H, at 11:59 AM  

  • I've done the hem 2 ways: with 90% of the stitches for the part that turns under, and with 100% of the stitches, but done on a couple needle sizes smaller, or with slightly finer yarn. I think the latter suits me better...but then, who am I to argue with Brooklyn Tweed?

    By Blogger Suze, at 5:11 PM  

  • what about a cable rib instead of a hem as ez suggests. but if you want to do a hem i definitely think the 10% less stitches, (as ez also suggests) is the more attractive of the two. i have done both and prefer the first.
    and good luck with the sweater. i think you have plenty of time to finish them. no madness here.

    By Blogger knititch, at 4:25 AM  

  • Hats off to you for even making the attempt! In the interest of speed, and since it's usually helpful on kid sweaters, I'd suggest starting with an inch or two of 2x2 rib. The Fishtrap pattern itself is so time-consuming that I think it's wise to leave whatever's not going to be in pattern as stockinet (or reverse stockinet, which looks well with the pattern and sets off the cables and twisted stitches nicely).

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home