Zimmermania

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Basket Cap (Entrelac)



I will be co-teaching an entrelac class at my LYS next month. While we plan to teach an entrelac scarf as the starting project, I thought it would be fun to bring along some other entrelac items. I've made a couple of felted bags, but decided to branch out and make EZ's Basket Cap from Spun Out #31. All was going well till the last row of rectangles, when the directions sort of petered out, with no advice on how to finish things off to make the lovely 8-pointed star at the top. I eventually had to call Schoolhouse Press to find out the last steps, and had the pleasure of talking with Meg Swansen! Since I had just watched the Baby Surprise Jacket DVD, I felt like I was speaking with a movie star, and was tickled pink. With her help, I was able to finish up the hat. The BSJ just needs the shoulders sewn, but first I'd like to test my knitting friends on what it is. I've enjoyed seeing the other BSJ pictures posted here, and will add mine soon.

The yarn for the cap is some older KnitPicks Wool of the Andes (color: mulled wine) that I picked up on a swap table at the Knitter's Review retreat last fall.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • what fascinating construction! It's lovely.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 AM  

  • That looks really cool! Congratulations on finishing it. Have you seen the entrelac socks by Eunny Jang in the latest Interweave knits? They're just another example of a creative entrelac project you could bring along/show off to class.

    By Blogger krisluvswool, at 9:49 AM  

  • Thank you for your kind comments. Yes, I have seen the socks in Interweave Knits--they look fabulous! I just haven't had the courage to take them on yet. But I will bring the magazine to class!

    By Blogger TJacobson, at 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home