Zimmermania

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Questions about BSJ

Hi, I'm a newbie here but a long-time lurker. I want to make a baby surprise jacket for my 2-month-old baby who weighs about 11 pounds. I was going to make it with some sport weight yarn, and I got the gauge EZ specifies (6 stiches/inch). She doesn't give a finished chest measurement, but says that babies come in all sorts of sizes (which is of course true). Has anyone knit the jacket for a baby this size and had it fit? Should I forge ahead with the sportweight yarn or go for some worsted at a gauge of 5 stitches per inch and make it a bigger size? I don't want to make it and have it only fit for a month and then be too small. Also, about what age baby would fit the Knitter's Almanac baby sweater knit with the yarn weight she specifies? Any information/experiences/opinions would be helpful. Thanks!

5 Comments:

  • I just finished the February Sweater (almanac sweater) in Plymouth Suri Merino (worsted weight) on size 7 needles. This turned out to be about 9-12 month sweater, closer to 12 month. (Super fast knit completed in about five days of limited knitting time.)

    I hope this helps.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 AM  

  • have knit several bsj. the sportweight turned out to be for a 1-2 month old. the one's i did in dk og worsted never fit a four month old. and the two sweaters i did in aran weight ( porto cervo from filatura di crosa and noro silk garden) fit from 4 months and up. this is my experience. hope it helps.
    i have to add that the girl i knit for is a very healthy baby but not the least bit overweight.

    By Blogger knititch, at 1:14 PM  

  • The one I did in sport on 4's looked to be the equivalent of a 9mos. size.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:56 AM  

  • If you make it too big, your little one will grow into it. Too small and he'll never wear it!

    By Blogger Woolybelle, at 4:21 AM  

  • I did the BSJ in sport weight, 5st/inch and it came out to about 18 inches around the chest, under the arms. This is a very stretchy jacket-type sweater. So fun to make.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home