Zimmermania

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

BSJ!


My first EZ project - BSJ. Here is the story behind it:
I’m keeping it for our baby (not yet conceived) and here’s why:It was knit with my husband's aunt's needles (she died in Aug. 2005) and yarn from my grandmother. The yarn was gathered from scraps leftover after many sweaters my grandmother knit for various family members. In other words, it is quite sentimental and special despite the haphazard color sequence and randomness of the whole project to begin with. I had this yarn from my grandmother and it was just small balls of random [gorgeous] colors. I also had just gotten Elizabeth Zimmermann’s Opinionated Knitter and wanted to try the BSJ. And with the stars aligned, I began to knit (and frog, and knit, and frog, and knit, etc.). So that is the story of Baby B’s 1st sweater.
I still have to seam it, but perhaps I'll save that until I'm actually expecting....

8 Comments:

  • Ha! I have stashed away the BSJ made with my first handspun, also in the event of my (unconceived) firstborn making an appearance. I've seamed, but not sewn on buttons.
    Very cool that you were able to use your grandmother's yarn - it looks very good!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 PM  

  • I like it very much.

    By Blogger Goce, at 11:22 PM  

  • I'm sure your grandmother is smiling....it's a wonderful sweater.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:20 AM  

  • I think that's very sentimental and wonderful. It's like the old Quilts that were made from this one's shirt and that one's dress, etc. A really nice heirloom for your family you have made.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 AM  

  • What a great sweater -- and so much meaning behind it! I'm sure your grandmother and your husband's aunt are grinning from ear to ear -- and I think the color sequence looks GREAT!

    Congrats on your first EZ project -- it's pretty addictive....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:15 AM  

  • OH what a lovely story! The colors just work perfectly.

    By Blogger Christine, at 7:43 AM  

  • Beautiful job! I love the different yarns. Your future baby will be blessed to wear it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 AM  

  • What a wonderful story. I use my grandmothers' needles (from both sides) and love it when I have that connection to them. This will be a sweater that gets passed down, which will make it more and more special with each generation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home