Zimmermania

Monday, November 13, 2006

Waiter, Can We Get Another Ganomy Over Here, Please?

Ok, I'm not sure if we can handle one more Ganomy over here at Zimmermania, but whether you like it or not, I present to you yet another Ganomy (modeled here by Hemingway).


I used Ella Rae Classic Wool Yarn and knit it on 4 mm circular needles. It wasn't my favourite yarn to work with, but it wasn't terrible. The brown wasn't quite the brown I was looking for [it seems a bit dull, a bit flat in its color], but that's just me being too picky. The pattern (in EZ's Knitter's Almanac) was crafty & smart, and easy to follow, more so because of the guidance of others on the Zimmermaniac KAL. I took the inspiration for the two-colored Ganomy from Jessica (of Fig & Plum).


As others have noted, including the previous post, I ended up with a bump on the top of the head. After ripping back a couple of times, I finally just gave in, telling myself that a bump isn't so bad.

The overall finished project? I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Pragmatically, this hat will do what it needs to do: keep my ears warm! And I do like how I can either wear it with the ear flaps pulled down, or easily roll them up if that strong Southwest wind isn't blowing down my neck.

For other shots of Papa Hemmy demonstrating the Ganomy's versatility, go here on Flickr for his other modeling shots.

Now, onto what I've really been wanting to make. Like everyone else, I have been more than inspired by Brooklyn Tweed's version of EZ's hybrid sweater. (In fact, I often find myself both incredulous and inspired by Jared's work.)

So, in 100% New Zealand wool (acquired for cheap on ebay months ago), I began the first step towards that EZ hybrid sweater: here then is the almighty swatch.


With Buddha's blessing, and the help of the Zimmermaniacs, hopefully this sweater will live up to Brooklyn Tweed's handiwork. (Most of this post cross-posted here.)

1 Comments:

  • nice ganomy! but i am particularly enamored with your model ;)

    By Blogger jess, at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home