Zimmermania

Monday, November 13, 2006

Christmas Baby Surprise Jacket

Mom calls Thursday - I have a great idea, can you make something for the auction? (The school I went to has an auction every year as a fundraiser.) Sure, mom, when is it? November 18th.

Yeah...

The pattern is written for yarn at 6 stitches per inch, and the chenille knits up about 2.5 stitches to the inch. So I just figured out that it's about 42% of the pattern, and made all of the numbers 42% of what she has in the book. It worked very well, which was fortunate, as I had no time for errors.

I got the measurements for the bonnet from a baby pattern book and then just sort of made something up. It only took about an hour to make, and I think it looks pretty cute. I put an i-cord edge on every edge I could find, a la EZ, as well as a twisted cord for the bonnet ties.

Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket from Knitting Workshop, and made up bonnet pattern
Yarn: Lion Brand Thick & Quick Chenille
(I am such a snob, I still can't believe I used this yarn and it actually came out nice.)
Needles: Size 10.5 bamboo circulars
Buttons from JoAnn
Time to make: About 8 hours total
Jacket Size: 20" around, 12" long
Bonnet: 13" around top, 5" deep

- nat

3 Comments:

  • It turned out super cute.

    By Blogger sweetfigs, at 5:05 AM  

  • Very cute! Did you guys see that you are mentioned in an article about the Elizabeth Zimmerman Exhibition at UW Madison?

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/yh328h

    "Her work still thrives on the Internet, where user groups like the "Zimmermaniacs" compulsively swap notes on all things EZ."

    By Blogger Amy, at 5:41 AM  

  • That is so sweet! I love the buttons!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home